The TCTA Representative Assembly will convene Feb. 2-3, 2017, at the Sheraton Hotel at the Capitol in Austin during TCTA's Annual Convention. (The TCTA Directors' Council will meet Feb. 1.)
During the two-day convention, delegates will have the opportunity to visit the Capitol and meet with their legislators, determine TCTA’s priorities for the 2017 legislative session, earn up to 7.25 hours of CPE credit, vote for statewide officers, and consider any submitted governance amendments. TCTA members attending the convention also will have the opportunity to talk to TCTA attorneys at the Ask-A-Lawyer booth, hear from TCTA legislative staff and more.
(Online registration closed Jan. 25, 2017, but on-site registration will be available at the Sheraton. Payment for CPE sessions is due at the time of registration. For questions, call the Membership Department at 888-879-8282.)
As provided in TCTA's governance documents:
- Qualifications and Consent Forms for candidates for statewide TCTA office were due by Nov. 4, 2016, to be on the official ballot. Nominations still will be accepted from the floor during the first business meeting of the Representative Assembly on Feb. 2, 2017. For more information about qualifications and this year's candidates, click here.
- No proposed amendments to the TCTA Constitution and Bylaws were received by Nov. 4, 2016, to be eligible for a lower percentage vote for adoption. However, an amendment could be proposed from the RA floor. See below for details.
- Names of potential delegates-at-large and student delegates must be submitted no later than Dec. 4, 2016, (60 days prior to the annual meeting) to be included in a random drawing that will determine who fills the available delegate spots. See below for details.
Members attending convention can take advantage of TCTA's discounted room rates through Jan. 11, 2017, at the Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capital, 701 E. 11th St., Austin, TX 78701.
Room rates are:
- $185 per night for single or double occupancy
- $195 per night for triple occupancy
- $205 per night for quadruple occupancy
Room reservations also include discounted overnight parking in the adjacent garage and free internet access.
Transportation to the hotel:
- Taxi rides from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport cost about $20.
- Discount airport shuttles are available through Super Shuttle using Discount Code: MFLFP.
Proposed convention schedule
Wednesday, Feb. 1
2 to 7 p.m.: Registration
Thursday, Feb. 2
8 a.m.: Registration
9 to 10 a.m.: Legislative Briefing for Capitol Visit (general session, 1 hour CPE)
TCTA’s top ranked lobbyists will provide timely and in-depth information on current education policy issues before TCTA members travel to the Capitol to meet with legislators.
10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Capitol Visit followed by lunch on your own
1:30 to 2:45 p.m.: Breakout Session 1 (1.25 hours CPE, concurrent sessions, choose one)
- Planting the Restorative Seed in Your Classroom Behavior Management practices.
- Get your Google On: Google Tools from A – Z+.
3 to 5 p.m.: Representative Assembly (general session)
- First business meeting includes candidate nominations from the floor.
- Second business meeting includes the budget report and candidate speeches.
5 to 5:30 p.m.: District Coordinating Council meetings
5:45 to 6:15 p.m.: Voting (official credentialed delegates only)
After you’ve voted, enjoy dinner on your own and explore Austin.
Friday, Feb. 3
7 to 8 a.m.: Free continental breakfast
8 to 8:45 a.m.: Breakout Session 2 (choose one)
- Maximizing Student Engagement. (0.75 hour CPE)
- Membership Session. (No CPE)
8:45 to 10 a.m.: Breakout Session 3 (1.25 hours CPE, choose one)
- T-TESS Implementation
- Legislative Q&A
10:15 to 11:30 a.m.: Breakout Session 4 (1.25 hours CPE, choose one)
- T-TESS Implementation (repeat of 8:45 a.m. session)
- Learning Strategies for Today’s Diverse Learners.
11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Lunch on your own
1 to 2:15 p.m.: Breakout Session 5 (1.25 hours CPE, choose one)
- T-TESS Legal Session
- General Legal Q&A
2:30 to 3 p.m.: Keynote Session (0.5 hours CPE)
- Education Commissioner Mike Morath will talk about the importance of the teaching profession and take audience questions.
3 to 5 p.m.: Representative Assembly
- Third business meeting includes policy decisions and election results.
(Online registration closes Jan. 25, 2016. Payment for CPE sessions is due at the time of registration. For questions or help filling out the online form, call 888-879-8282.)
Vendors & Exhibits
- Kendra Scott brings the latest jewelry styles to convention attendees at a 10 percent discount, and a portion of sales will benefit TCTA’s political action committee, ACT For TCTA. Stop by Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Talk to TCTA attorneys at the Ask-A-Lawyer booth, shop with our vendors, bid on silent auction items to benefit ACT For TCTA and visit the ACT Booth.
Local association presidents will be mailed packets containing their projected delegate counts and rebate information in December. Local association presidents can register all their delegates for convention as a group by completing the online registration form, or members may register individually. Those who have questions about the online form should call TCTA headquarters at 888-879-8282.
Delegates-at-Large and Student Delegates
TCTA Active members who teach in school districts with no TCTA local affiliate may serve as voting delegates to the 2016 Representative Assembly. Allocation is made on the basis of one delegate per district for each 50 Active members-at-large (or major fraction thereof).
Student members may serve as nonvoting delegates, and delegate status is allocated on the basis of one delegate for each 50 student members (or major fraction thereof).
Active-level members who teach in school districts without a TCTA local affiliate who are interested in serving as delegates-at-large and student members who are interested in serving as nonvoting student delegates may submit their names to be included in a random drawing that will determine who fills the available delegate spots.
Names are due in writing, postmarked no later than Dec. 4, 2016, to:
No amendments to the TCTA Constitution or Bylaws were submitted in writing by the Nov. 4 deadline; however, amendments may be submitted from the Representative Assembly floor in February and will require a higher voting majority to pass. The maker must distribute copies of any amendments submitted from the RA floor to all delegates.