AUSTIN — Gov. Greg Abbott reappointed Donna Bahorich as chair of the State Board of Education ahead of the Jan. 31, 2016, swearing-in ceremony for eight members elected or re-elected in November.
“I’m honored and humbled that Gov. Abbott has reappointed me to a second two-year term as chair of the State Board of Education," she said in a Jan. 24, 2016, statement. "Serving in this capacity is one of the greatest honors of my life. It is also a duty that I take seriously. I’ve done my best to work alongside my colleagues to make the work of the board more accessible to all Texans.”
The reappointment is subject to Senate confirmation. The term as chair is effective from Feb. 1, 2017, through Feb. 1, 2019.
New members joining the board are Georgina C. Pérez, D-El Paso, and Keven Ellis, R-Lufkin.
Re-elected to new four-year terms of office are:
- Ken Mercer, R-San Antonio
- Donna Bahorich, R-Houston
- Barbara Cargill, R-The Woodlands
- Tom Maynard, R-Florence
- Sue Melton-Malone, R-Robinson
- Marty Rowley, R-Amarillo
After the swearing-in ceremony, the board will elect a vice-chair and secretary.
The board meets Jan. 31-Feb. 3. Items on the agenda include:
- A public hearing and first reading vote on revised English and Spanish language arts and reading Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS);
- A public hearing and first reading vote on efforts to streamline the science TEKS; and
- Discussion of the schedule and instructional materials to be included in Proclamation 2019.
Get the full agenda for the board meeting and committee meetings, which will occur in the William B. Travis Building, 1701 N. Congress Ave. in Austin.